Jasmeet Wahid is a partner at Kahn Zack Ehrlich Lithwick LLP. Her family law practice is diverse and interesting and often includes complex financial and parenting issues. Her practice also includes unique issues in the areas of adoption, reproductive technology, child protection, and First Nations concerns. Jasmeet appears in all levels of court.
In 2020, she argued an appeal concerning the posthumous use of reproductive material and the statutory interpretation of the consent provisions of the Assisted Human Reproduction Act [L.T. v. D.T. Estate 2020 BCCA 328].
In 2019, she was involved in a significant family law appeal [A.B. v. C.D. 2020 BCCA 11 & A.B. v. C.D. 2019 BCCA 297] concerning a child’s consent to gender affirming care, family violence and remedies under the Family Law Act.
In 2017, she was successful in an important case concerning the adoption of a First Nations child and the statutory scheme of the Adoption Act [M.M. v.T.B., 2017 BCCA 296] with application for leave to the Supreme Court of Canada being dismissed.
In 2015, she was successful in an important appeal concerning the issue of variation of spousal support and whether re-partnering is a material change of circumstances.
Jasmeet enjoys collaborating with colleagues in other practice areas involving challenging family law and related issues. In her spare time, Jasmeet has managed to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, ride a camel in the Indian desert and complete marathons in both Hawaii and New York.
LL.B., University of Calgary, 2005
B.A., University of British Columbia, 2002
Family Law Mediator under the Family Law Act, 2019
Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School Executive Education course, 2019
British Columbia, 2006
Jasmeet is a contributor to continuing education seminars for other lawyers, and co-chairs or presents regularly at conferences or meetings on various issues.
Presenter/Chair on Continuing Legal Education Topics
- Co-chair at CLEBC Conference: Family Law Provincial Court Practice 2022 - April 14, 2022
- Presenter at York University, Osgoode Professional Development re: Fertility Law: Critical and Emerging Issues - February 28, 2022
- Co-chair at CLEBC Conference: Interplay Between Aging, Death & Divorce 2021 - October 21, 2021
- Presenter at York University, Osgoode Professional Development re: Fertility 2020: Critical and Emerging Issues - February 4, 2020
- Presenter at CLEBC 12th Biennial Family Law Conference - July 5, 2019
- Co-chair at CLEBC Family Law Provincial Court Practice Conference - March 7, 2019
- Presenter at CLEBC Conference: Hot Topics in Family Law Part II: Good Lawyering for Bad Parenting - October 26, 2018
- Co-chair at CLEBC Conference: Hot Topics in Family Law: Navigating the Financial Landscape - June 8, 2018
- Co-Chair at CLEBC Conference: Family Law Provincial Court Practice - February 9, 2017
Presenter at Canadian Bar Association/Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia Events/PBLI/Diversity and Law Society
- Presenter at CBA Spring Law Series 2022: Important COVID-19 and Family Law Updates:
What You Should Know When Advising Clients - February 16, 2022
- Guest Speaker at The Diversity and Law Society: BIPOC Litigator Panel - November 30, 2021
- Presenter at PBLI Program: Family Law 2021: Family Is As Family Does – Evolving Family Forms - October 1, 2021
- Presenter at CBA Webinar: Use of Reproductive Material after Death and Estate Planning Considerations
- September 27, 2021
- Presenter at Recent Developments in Fertility and Surrogacy Law in Canada - April 27, 2021
- Presenter at TLABC: An Insider's View - Intersections with Family Law: Insight and Practical Advice for Navigating Systems That Impact Family Law - April 16, 2021
- Presenter at Vancouver CBA Immigration Law Section Meeting: Intersection of Family and Immigration Law - October 31, 2018
- Presenter at CBA Webinar: Adoption Law: The Basics and Then Some… - June 21, 2017
- Presenter at Vancouver CBA Family Law Meeting re: FMEP and MCFD: Beyond the Acronyms - February 18, 2016
- Presenter at Vancouver CBA Family Law Meeting re: Child, Family and Community Service Act (CFCSA) - Views from the Trenches - February 3, 2011
Other Professional Activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Access Pro Bono Society of British Columbia
- Member of the British Columbia Law Institute (BCLI) FLA3 Law Reform Project Committee
- Member of the Indian Summer Arts Society’s Board of Directors
Publications, Press & Notable Cases